Monday, August 6, 2012

Potbelly - From Chi-town to Beantown

While on my lunch break today I noticed some new signage on Washington Street in downtown Boston:


For a moment I imagined I was back in Chicago as I had just been there six weeks ago (blogs forthcoming) but soon realized no, this is really here and will be opening soon!  For those who are unaware Potbelly is a sandwich chain which originated in the Windy City back in the 70s and is rather popular there.  I was spotting them as frequently as you would a Dunkies here but regrettably didn't have a chance to try them out as I was too busy eating Chicago dogs and Italian steak sandwiches. 

From what I've read Potbelly is a hybrid of Subway and Quiznos' strengths (i.e. Quiznos' taste at Subway prices).  Being one who is always on the lookout for frugal lunch options in the Financial District (where an average lunch will run you $7-$10) I enthusiastically welcome the addition.  It's also pleasing to see new businesses popping up along this stretch of Washington Street as it's been a bit of a ghost-town the last few years, particularly after the closing and demolition of Filene's.  Plans for occupying the pit with a new tower are already in motion so the reality of having a downtown that's fitting for a big city like Boston isn't so farfetched.

  
 
In the meantime I look forward to sampling "A Wreck" (Salami, Roast Beef, Turkey, Ham & Swiss Cheese) in the near future and will report my findings when I do so.




0 comments:

Post a Comment